Notice of Vacancy in Office of Parish Councillor – Langfield Ward
Todmorden Town Council – Vacancy Langfield Ward
Following the recent passing of Christine Potter, there is now a vacancy to be filled in Langfield Ward. The Town Council issued a notice to advertise the vacancy on 16th December 2021 with the 11th of January 2022 being the latest date for receipt of a request signed by ten registered electors to hold an election.
Whilst no specific qualification is required to be a Councillor, other than to be legally eligible and a desire to represent the interests of their community, a broad outline of the skills and experiences that would help contribute are
- Sound knowledge and understanding of local affairs and the local community
- Solid interest in local matters
- Ability and willingness to represent the Council and their community
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing
- Ability and willingness to work closely with other members and to maintain good working relationships with all members and staff
- Good reading and analytic skills
- Ability and willingness to work with the council’s partners (e.g. voluntary groups, other parish councils, principal authority, charities).
- Ability and willingness to undertake relevant training
- Ability and willingness to attend meetings of the council (or the meetings of other local authorities and local bodies) in the evening and events in the evening and at weekends
- Flexible and Enthusiastic
Indeed, it is important that all sorts of people, often with a wide range of skills and experience serve as Councillors to give good representation of the community.
This is open for all ages to apply, and we encourage the interest of younger persons looking to take perhaps their first steps into voluntary public service.
Training for new councillors is available to help assist with understanding the responsibilities of the role.
What do Parish Councillors do?
Todmorden Town Council is made up of 18 voluntary Councillors, who meet regularly to discuss and act on issues of importance to the local community.
If any further information is required, please email Colin Hill, Town Clerk at email@example.com with your telephone contact details and he will be happy to call you and answer any questions you may have.