Below we have reproduced some information provided to the Town Council by Calderdale Council regarding the roadworks that commenced in Todmorden on 16 May 2022.
The Town Council has requested additional information relating to the roadworks including a timetable of activities and we hope that this will be forthcoming soon. In the meantime, a representative of Calderdale Council’s Highways team will be in Todmorden to discuss roadworks planning as part of Todmorden’s Ward Forum on Monday 20th June.
CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT WORKS – UPDATE RECEIVED FROM CMBC ON 26TH MAY 2022
The first phase of works is concentrated around Todmorden Town Hall and comprises the following improvements:
- Water Street – relaying with stone setts and flags to complement the remainder of the street and partial pedestrianisation with restricted vehicular access during the daytime;
- Accommodating existing pedestrian flows with a new zebra crossing on Halifax Road to the east of Bridge Street (and replacing the current Brook Street crossing) and a new signalised crossing from the Town Hall to the bottom of Ridge Road;
- Remodelling of the traffic islands around the Halifax Road/ Burnley Road/ Rochdale Road roundabout to improve entry and exit for vehicles;
- Realigning of the kerb line outside the Town Hall and repaving in high quality Yorkshire stone.
This will be followed by further phases of work which will include the following:
Relaying of streets around the Town Hall, including Bridge Street and Calder Street, with stone setts and flags to enhance the historical setting and partial pedestrianisation to remove vehicles from the area during the daytime;
- Footway and side junction improvements along Halifax Road between the Town Hall and Lidl, including a new signalised crossing at Lidl;
- Relocation of some bus stops with improved passenger waiting and information facilities;
- Provision of real time rail information at the bus station
A separate programme of works will deliver enabling works for a ‘mobility hub’ including cycle parking, electric vehicle charging and a car club space at the railway station.
The duration of the current programme of works is estimated at 30 weeks although our contractor will endeavour to complete sooner.